Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Raganwald: Passionate Software Development

Raganwald: Passionate Software Development: "Why does failure matter?

It's a funny thing. After almost twenty years of drawing a paycheque for creating software, people generally want to hire me because they want me to duplicate the successes I've had. The model seems to be 'do the things you've done successfully before, and you'll be successful now.'

My experience is that this has never worked on its own. Success in software development is at least as much about avoiding failure modes as it is about 'best practices.' I conjecture it's because software development on a commercial scale is so hard that almost any mistake will sink a project if left uncorrected or even worse, actively encouraged."

An honest open assessment on the failures occurring during a life of software development. A lengthy but extremely interesting article, which is interspersed with many quotations that are annoying at first but grow on you.

My favourite:

"There are two kinds of people in the world: those who finish what they started."

No comments: