Friday, January 20, 2006

Curiosity is bliss: "Take It With You" Wiki

Curiosity is bliss: "Take It With You" Wiki: "Some background:
Two problems ran in circles in my head while I was on vacation a couple of weeks ago: how to make cross-domain XMLHttp requests before cross-domain is actually supported by browsers and how to allow web applications to run offline?
I started by focusing on the first one, probably because I've been toying recently with cross-domain XMLHttp and client-side storage through Greasemonkey. Also, I was thinking that it would help for running local/offline copies of web apps.

The problem with using Greasemonkey to extend the browser is that it's not widely available and it doesn't offer good control over cross-domain requests. A Flash and Javascript combination, such as the Flash-based Canvas or AMASS storage, seemed like a better solution."

No comments: